Tags:
create new tag
, view all tags

Minutes of Freetown Release Meeting, 2007-04-23

TOC and Agenda

Logistics, Participants, IRC log

1. Action Item Review

  • Peter: Create a TWikiBetaTesting topic in Codev, with info for beta testers. Need to recruit beta testers
    • Need to do this before next release. Need to recruit beta testers.
  • Kenneth: Looking to add at least two more people - preferable non-developers to share the role as customers advocate
    • DONE Need to define the role better.
    • DONE Email has been sent to ML asking for candidates to come forward.
    • smile We have at least one new customers advocate. SteveRJones has volunteered. Welcome onboard.
  • Arthur/Kenneth/Peter: Need to update the TWiki application so the process becomes less manual
    • KennethLavrsen will work on app in the week before Easter (first week of April).
    • Please note that on 22 Apr 2007 the TWiki Application for new features and especially the ChangeProposalForm has been updated to match the process. But there is still another days work in updating the current proposal topics and to replace the TWikiFeature04x02 contents by a number of searches. But 90% of the work is done. You can help by updating your own proposals.
  • Crawford/Sven - A few features sponsered by customers are urgent for a 4.2 release. Sven and Crawford will draft a realistic release schedule for a 4.2 for next release meeting.
    • 4.2 feature freeze - 1 May 2007 01:00GMT
    • Pre-release testing until 6 may 2007
    • Build and release beta package, 6 May 2007
    • beta test until release team is satisfied with quality (not less than 2 weeks)
    • Release when it's ready

2. Next Release 4.2 or 5.0

  • Desired outcome: Decide if we go for a 4.2 or 5.0 release

  • It was confirmed that we go for a quick 4.2 release.
  • The proposed schedule is tight. Kenneth is not available to release manage the first week of May.
  • Before final decision the meeting agreed that the new proposal for Searching. See SimpleFieldQueriesInMETASEARCH. Peter will propose a spec change. Provided that a spec is not getting into a long debate - (Kenneth says "please drive a quick consensus decision") there was a broad agreement that
    • IF Crawford will implement the feature (not clear from the proposal)
    • AND the implementation is in near future
    • THEN it would be highly desired to have it in 4.2 because
      • It is a huge improvement in usability (NerdoMeter factor 8 down to a 3 or 4)
      • It will be a huge advantage to have the new search (and deprecation of current searching in meta) implemented NOW so it has been fielded for maybe a full year before TWiki 5 hits the street with a radical new storage model where meta searching is undesired and very slow and painful. The more that have had the chance to change their searches - the better for them - and the less we have to focus on making a backwards compatible meta search fast.

3. Review Proposed Features

  • KeywordSearch - I am working on it and would like to receive feedback or a go ahead. -- ArthurClemens - 23 Apr 2007
    • Accepted by 4 votes to 0.
  • AddTWikiAdminUser - Adding a default twiki admin user with password defined in configure
    • Discussion needs to continue on topic. It is still not clear to at least KennethLavrsen how the feature will work and if it will work satisfactory.
  • ControlOverVariableExpansion - Control over Variable Expansion
    • Accepted: 2 votes for, none against, 4 chose not to vote (because they supported the feature but in plugin solution).
  • TopicCaseSensitivity - URL's that have correct spelling, irrespective of case will goto that topic.
    • Not in 4.2 scope so we agreed to defer decision.
  • UseIsoDates - Use ISO Dates
    • No vote since proposer and main concern raiser were not there. But the general mood was to reject this original idea and counter proposal a site level configurable format.
  • AddspaceOutWikiWordtoFunc - new item but Arthur has asked for feedback
    • Too early to vote but there is support among developers and it is not likely to get voted down later so Arthur is encouraged to implement.

Action Items

IRC Log

Back to: FreetownRelease

Comments / Feedback

Topic attachments
I Attachment History Action Size Date Who Comment
Texttxt FreetownMinutes2007x04x23.txt r1 manage 56.6 K 2007-04-24 - 08:15 KennethLavrsen Full transscript of meeting
Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r7 < r6 < r5 < r4 < r3 | Backlinks | Raw View | Raw edit | More topic actions
Topic revision: r7 - 2007-04-24 - KennethLavrsen
 
  • Learn about TWiki  
  • Download TWiki
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by Perl Hosted by OICcam.com Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback. Ask community in the support forum.
Copyright © 1999-2017 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.